SKIP of New York

Who We Help

 

SKIP of New York is unique as it accepts all children who need our help – from those with profound illnesses and complex medical conditions to those with physical and developmental disabilities. SKIP will never turn a child away regardless of whether or not they are enrolled in a program that will reimburse medical expenses.

SKIP children and their families are a diverse group – a snapshot follows:

Medical Diagnoses

The list of diagnoses for the children we serve is over eight pages long, but these medical conditions fall into four general categories:

Who_PieChart_770x406

Some of the medical conditions SKIP encounters regularly include: autism, cerebral palsy, Duchenne’s Muscular Dystrophy, cystic fibrosis, spina bifida, mental retardation, traumatic brain injury, congenital heart defects, HIV/AIDS, sickle-cell anemia, cancer, among many others.

Geographic Distribution

SKIP of New York serves the children of New York State and has offices in New York City, Buffalo, Rochester, Painted Post and Port Jefferson. Over 70% of the SKIP children live in one of the five boroughs of New York City, the other 30% live in various locations throughout the state.

Who_Map_770x335

Socio Economic Profile

SKIP of New York offers its services at no cost to any child in need – regardless of the family’s financial resources. More than three-quarters of the children SKIP helps live at or below the poverty line. Although SKIP does not yet have the resources to fund outreach, 40 new families still find us each month.